What is schizophrenia?
Schizophrenia is a lifelong & serious mental disorder that influences the thinking & behavioral pattern of an individual. Individuals suffering from schizophrenia may seem as though they have set some distance between the real world. Schizophrenia is not a common mental disorder, but the indications can be debilitating.
Schizophrenia ordinarily strikes within the ages of 16 & 30. According to expert males show indications at a moderately more younger age than females. Schizophrenia disorder advances so gradually that the individual does not realize that they have had it for a long time. But in a few cases, it can strike all of a sudden and develop rapidly.
Schizophrenia influences roughly 1 percent of adult globally. Specialists state schizophrenia is presumably numerous illnesses taking on the appearance of one.
What are the symptoms of Schizophrenia?
Individuals suffering from schizophrenia depends on others since they are unfit to continue work or take right care of themselves.
Many may likewise deny treatment, disputing that there is nothing improper with them.
Some patients may exhibit precise schizophrenia signs & symptoms, yet on various circumstances, they may appear to be fine until they begin clarifying what they are genuinely thinking.
Symptoms of schizophrenia can be classified into types mentioned below
Positive symptoms – Positive schizophrenia symptoms are also termed as psychotic symptoms. These symptoms are never observed in a healthy individual. People showing positive symptoms may lose touch with reality.
e.g: hallucinations, delusions, thought disorders, disturbed body movements, etc.
Negative symptoms – Negative schizophrenia symptoms refer to the absence of few factors in an individual. Negative signs are linked to disturbances to natural emotions and behaviors.
- Lowered responses to happiness in daily life
- Challenge to start and sustain activities
- The absence of facial expressions or lack of motivation.
- Flat affect diminished expressions of emotions via facial expression or voice tone)
Cognitive symptoms – Cognitive schizophrenia symptoms vary from person to person. Some patients may experience subtle symptoms, while others may incur severe symptoms like changes in the thinking or memorizing pattern and capability.
- Lack of ability to understand information & process it effectively to make the right decision.
- Facing Issues in using the information immediately after freshly receiving & learning it.
- Difficulty in concentrating or paying attention
What are the causes of schizophrenia?
According to experts believe multiple factors are linked in contributing to the start of schizophrenia. Research hints towards both genetic & environmental factor working together to bring out schizophrenia. This disorder has an inherited factor, but environmental factor also significantly modify it.
Few of the factors that contribute to schizophrenia are
Genetics – Chances of developing schizophrenia is less than 1 percent if there is no family history of the disease. The risk of schizophrenia increases if a parent is suffering from the disease. If it’s a parent or sibling your chances of suffering from schizophrenia goes up to 10%. If both parents suffer, then you have a 40% chance of also being a victim of the disorder. If you have an identical twin suffering from the disorder your chances go to 50%. People who don’t have family history can also have schizophrenia because of genetic changes or mutations.
Even though there is no absolute proof it is suspected that trauma or viral infections before birth can add to the rise of the condition. Individual who have had stressful experiences are prone to this disease.
Stress is often blamed to induce schizophrenia. But it’s a bit complicated to conclude whether stress caused schizophrenia, or schizophrenia caused stress.
Chemical Imbalance in brain
Scholars affirm that an asymmetry of dopamine or serotonin, neurotransmitters are involved in the origin of schizophrenia.
How is schizophrenia treated?
Schizophrenia if treated properly can aid a patient in living a productive life. Treatment of schizophrenia helps in alleviating many symptoms, still, the majority of patients have to deal with the symptoms throughout their life.
As per psychiatrists schizophrenia can be treated most effectively with a blend of treatments mentioned below
- psychological counseling
- self-help motivation
Electroconvulsive therapy (ECT) is a method performed under general anesthesia, in which small electric currents are passed through the brain that causes alterations in brain chemistry so as reversing symptoms of mental illness.
ECT comes into picture when other treatment options fail or after completion of the full course of schizophrenia treatment. Although it shows results, it may not work for everyone
Anti-psychosis drugs have modified schizophrenia treatment. Now the majority of patients are capable to live in the society, instead of staying in a hospital.